Bakersfield power plant implosion: Man loses leg, 4 others also hurt
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KABC) -- One man lost his leg and four others were also injured as shrapnel from the demolition of a power plant in Bakersfield flew into a crowd of more than 1,000 spectators on Saturday, Kern County Fire officials said.
The crowd gathered at 6 a.m. to watch the planned implosion of the steam power plant owned by Pacific Gas and Electric. The plant had been decommissioned for decades.
Officials said a 1,000-foot perimeter had been set up around the old plant, and the injured spectators were standing beyond that.
After buildings came down in a fiery crash, a police officer heard a 44-year-old man screaming for help and saw that his leg had been blown off. The four other spectators were treated for minor injuries.
PG&E spokesman Denny Boyles said the company hired subcontractors to set up the perimeter and handle the demolition.
"We are deeply saddened that this happened," Boyles said. "We're looking for answers like everyone else."
Cleveland Wrecking Co. of Covina, the main contractor on the demolition, issued a statement expressing sympathy and vowing a thorough investigation but declined further comment.
"This was a terrible accident, and our hearts go out to the individuals who were injured," the statement said. "We will be conducting a full investigation and will cooperate with the authorities."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
california, accident, california news
- NKorea says it deported detained US war vet 11 min ago
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot 39 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting 46 min ago
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material 17 min ago
- Bob Dylan's guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
25 min ago