San Diego mayor case: Marilyn Monroe impersonator claims harassment
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KABC) -- A ninth alleged victim has just come forward in the sexual harassment scandal involving San Diego Mayor Bob Filner.
The latest woman to come forward was hired to entertain the mayor and his guests, but she says he took things way too far. Marilyn Monroe impersonator Emily Gilbert says Filner sexually harassed her at his fundraiser.
Leaders of two competing recall petitions are now uniting to back one petition to get the mayor out of office. They need to collect more than 100,000 signatures from registered voters to put the recall question on the ballot.
Filner is facing allegations of unwanted advances from at least eight other women, including his former communications director, Irene McCormack Jackson, who filed a lawsuit July 22 against the mayor and the city. In the lawsuit, McCormack alleges Filner asked Jackson to work without panties, demanded kisses, told her he wanted to see her naked, and dragged her in a headlock while whispering in her ear.
On Thursday, the mayor's attorney filed a letter claiming Filner didn't receive required sexual harassment training from the city.
The attorney claims the trainer for the city unilaterally canceled and never rescheduled the mayor's training, therefore the city should pay for the mayor's defense.
But the city's former chief operating officer says it was Filner's office, not the trainer, who canceled sessions multiple times.
This week, the San Diego City Council unanimously rejected any payment of Filner's legal fees. The mayor is set to begin two weeks of intensive behavior therapy on Monday. The City Attorney's Office says he will not be deposed under oath before that therapy begins.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
san diego, california news, elex michaelson
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2