San Diego mayor case: Marilyn Monroe impersonator claims harassment
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KABC) -- A ninth alleged victim has just come forward in the sexual harassment scandal involving San Diego Mayor Bob Filner.
The latest woman to come forward was hired to entertain the mayor and his guests, but she says he took things way too far. Marilyn Monroe impersonator Emily Gilbert says Filner sexually harassed her at his fundraiser.
Leaders of two competing recall petitions are now uniting to back one petition to get the mayor out of office. They need to collect more than 100,000 signatures from registered voters to put the recall question on the ballot.
Filner is facing allegations of unwanted advances from at least eight other women, including his former communications director, Irene McCormack Jackson, who filed a lawsuit July 22 against the mayor and the city. In the lawsuit, McCormack alleges Filner asked Jackson to work without panties, demanded kisses, told her he wanted to see her naked, and dragged her in a headlock while whispering in her ear.
On Thursday, the mayor's attorney filed a letter claiming Filner didn't receive required sexual harassment training from the city.
The attorney claims the trainer for the city unilaterally canceled and never rescheduled the mayor's training, therefore the city should pay for the mayor's defense.
But the city's former chief operating officer says it was Filner's office, not the trainer, who canceled sessions multiple times.
This week, the San Diego City Council unanimously rejected any payment of Filner's legal fees. The mayor is set to begin two weeks of intensive behavior therapy on Monday. The City Attorney's Office says he will not be deposed under oath before that therapy begins.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
san diego, california news, elex michaelson
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense presents case
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son