Valley Springs stabbing death: Police investigate possible lead
VALLEY SPRINGS, Calif. (KABC) -- Police are trying to determine if there is a link between a kidnapping suspect and the stabbing murder of an 8-year-old Northern California girl.
Police arrested 44-year-old Jason Wryrynen Tuesday morning for allegedly entering a Placerville apartment to try and take a 15-month-old girl from her mother.
According to the Sacramento Bee, Wryrynen tried to take the girl by force, but the mother was able to wrestle her daughter away and struggled with the suspect until police arrived.
Placerville police Capt. Mike Scott told the newspaper that authorities have not connected the attempted kidnapping case with the Calaveras County case. However, Scott said there were similarities between Wryrynen and the description of the suspect in the killing of Leila Fowler in Valley Springs on Saturday.
Placerville officers were talking to Calaveras County investigators, and a DNA sample was collected from Wryrynen.
Calaveras County officials have said it appears the unknown intruder in the slaying of Leila in her home did not stem from an attempted robbery or other crime.
The girl's 12-year-old brother was home at the time, and authorities say he encountered the attacker, who then ran away.
Authorities said a witness saw a person running from the family home with a description similar to the one provided by Leila's brother. Investigators have released little information about the killing other than a vague description of a suspect with long gray hair.
Meanwhile, an emotional candlelight vigil was held Tuesday night in honor of Leila. Hundreds gathered at Jenny Lind Elementary School in to remember the 8-year-old.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
stabbing, murder, california news
- DUI driver slams into apartment, killing girl 4 min ago
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter 55 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Laughing can improve memory 20 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 24 min ago
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour