Ventura County News
Moorpark High closed after threatening note
MOORPARK, Calif. (KABC) -- Moorpark High School has closed for the day after a threat was made, according to the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.
Authorities received a 911 call at 8:20 a.m. Thursday regarding a threatening note left by a male student. Students were immediately locked down in their classrooms. As certain areas of the school were cleared by deputies, students in those areas were placed outside, officials said.
A short time later, the 16-year-old student, believed to have written the note, was found dead on a nearby railroad tracks. Investigators said he committed suicide by stepping in front of an oncoming passenger train.
Just after 11 a.m., officials announced that students were being released from school for the day. Parents have been notified that school is closed for the day.
It was unclear what the threatening note said, but the Ventura County Sheriff's Department stated that it was a "threat of harm," not a shooting threat.
Moorpark High School was expected to resume classes Friday. School officials said grief counselors will available for students and faculty members.
Arroyo West and Mountain Meadow Elementary schools were placed on lockdown as a precaution, but those lockdowns have since been lifted. Both schools have resumed normal operations, the sheriff's department said.
school, ventura county news
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 46 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster 59 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries 5 min ago
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
37 min ago