Ventura County News
Moorpark High closed after threatening note
MOORPARK, Calif. (KABC) -- Moorpark High School has closed for the day after a threat was made, according to the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.
Authorities received a 911 call at 8:20 a.m. Thursday regarding a threatening note left by a male student. Students were immediately locked down in their classrooms. As certain areas of the school were cleared by deputies, students in those areas were placed outside, officials said.
A short time later, the 16-year-old student, believed to have written the note, was found dead on a nearby railroad tracks. Investigators said he committed suicide by stepping in front of an oncoming passenger train.
Just after 11 a.m., officials announced that students were being released from school for the day. Parents have been notified that school is closed for the day.
It was unclear what the threatening note said, but the Ventura County Sheriff's Department stated that it was a "threat of harm," not a shooting threat.
Moorpark High School was expected to resume classes Friday. School officials said grief counselors will available for students and faculty members.
Arroyo West and Mountain Meadow Elementary schools were placed on lockdown as a precaution, but those lockdowns have since been lifted. Both schools have resumed normal operations, the sheriff's department said.
school, ventura county news
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 13 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Missing flight's last words were routine 14 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic 26 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 10 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
37 min ago
- Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
36 min ago