Ventura County News
Several Oxnard mobile homes destroyed in fire
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- Several homes were destroyed in a fire at a mobile home park in Oxnard Friday afternoon.
The fire started just before 4 p.m. on the 1200 block of Oxnard Boulevard. Firefighters were able to put out the flames and residents escaped safely.
Oxnard fire crews say they were dealing with 30 mph winds. It quickly became a three-alarm fire, burning six mobile homes and another structure.
Cindy Aguilera, the park's owner, says a boy who lives there told her husband somebody was playing with fire in the field next to the mobile home park.
"By the time my husband got the extinguisher and ran out there, he says there was nothing he could do. The flames were just so high," said Aguilera.
The Red Cross has set up a temporary shelter at Oxnard College. Ale Lopez and her son Jerry arrived home to find firefighters battling the blaze.
"They didn't let us go in, but from what we could see, our house was gone," said Lopez.
Despite losing everything, the Lopez family feels fortunate they weren't home when the fire started.
"If I didn't have detention, I could've died," said Jerry Lopez, who explained that he and his mother would've been at home at the time.
Crews planned to stay overnight to make sure there are no hotspots that could flare up due to the strong winds. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
fire, ventura county news, melissa macbride
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 11 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 38 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 4 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 6 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
40 min ago