Ventura County News
Several Oxnard mobile homes destroyed in fire
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- Several homes were destroyed in a fire at a mobile home park in Oxnard Friday afternoon.
The fire started just before 4 p.m. on the 1200 block of Oxnard Boulevard. Firefighters were able to put out the flames and residents escaped safely.
Oxnard fire crews say they were dealing with 30 mph winds. It quickly became a three-alarm fire, burning six mobile homes and another structure.
Cindy Aguilera, the park's owner, says a boy who lives there told her husband somebody was playing with fire in the field next to the mobile home park.
"By the time my husband got the extinguisher and ran out there, he says there was nothing he could do. The flames were just so high," said Aguilera.
The Red Cross has set up a temporary shelter at Oxnard College. Ale Lopez and her son Jerry arrived home to find firefighters battling the blaze.
"They didn't let us go in, but from what we could see, our house was gone," said Lopez.
Despite losing everything, the Lopez family feels fortunate they weren't home when the fire started.
"If I didn't have detention, I could've died," said Jerry Lopez, who explained that he and his mother would've been at home at the time.
Crews planned to stay overnight to make sure there are no hotspots that could flare up due to the strong winds. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
fire, ventura county news, melissa macbride
- OC school bus crash: Several injuries reported 1 min ago
- Big-rig crash shuts down 210 Fwy, Gold Line 15 min ago
- Protesters commemorate Armenian Genocide
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- Obama: Asia-Pacific trade deal not in danger
- Olivia Wilde, Jason Sudeikis welcome baby boy
- OTRC: Beyonce on '100 Most Influential People' cover