Ventura County News
Westlake Village deputy-involved shooting: Suspect in jail
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (KABC) -- A Gilroy man who was hospitalized after being wounded in a deputy-involved shooting in Westlake Village over the weekend is now behind bars, according to the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.
Rogelio Gutierrez, 33, was booked into the Pre-trial Detention Facility in Ventura late Wednesday. His bail was set at $1 million.
The shooting occurred after police responded to reports of a hit-and-run around 9 p.m. Saturday at Agoura and Lakeview Canyon roads, near the Ventura County-Los Angeles County border. When a deputy approached a vehicle matching the suspect's car, the driver sped away through a shopping center and then onto Agoura Road.
According to authorities, the suspect drove eastbound in the westbound lanes of traffic and then attempted to ram a patrol vehicle. Gutierrez then reversed his car toward a deputy who was now out of his vehicle, police said. That's when the deputy fired several shots at him.
Gutierrez was transported to Los Robles Hospital and Medical Center in Thousand Oaks where he was treated for multiple gunshot wounds.
No deputies were hurt.
Gutierrez faces charges of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, evading an officer and reckless driving. He's expected to make his first court appearance Friday afternoon.
deputy-involved shooting, shooting, ventura county news
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2