Orange County News
Santa Ana church treasurer accused of embezzling $110K
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A treasurer at an Orange County church is accused of embezzling more than $110,000.
Prosecutors allege Fiatala Manu stole the money while serving as interim treasurer of the First Samoan Christian Congregational Church in Santa Ana.
"It's a lot of money and I felt bad for the parishioners, because they would come faithfully and it's all family-oriented. I'm really surprised and saddened," said Florenda Torres of Santa Ana.
Prosecutors allege Manu embezzled the money from church bank accounts over 10 months, starting in October 2011. Instead of paying the bills of the small church, the 46-year-old is accused of writing checks to himself and making withdrawals.
Authorities suspect Manu gambled away most of the church money. It's cash that authorities allege church members raised to go toward building a new church.
"It's outrageous, frankly, for somebody who's a member of a congregation, put in a position of trust to handle the church's financial records, would simply steal everything he could get his hands on and take that money and pretty much spend it gambling at Indian gaming casinos," said prosecutor Chuck Lawhorn.
The alleged theft was discovered after an assistant treasurer noticed the money was missing. Authorities say Manu was arrested this week during a church meeting. If convicted, he could get up to 11 years and four months in prison.
orange county news, eileen frere
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 58 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot 30 min ago
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Burglary suspects sexually assault woman
- Boy brings loaded gun to Garden Grove school
- Man tries to lure Culver City girl into car
- FDA proposes 1st regulations for e-cigarettes
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers 4 min ago
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- OTRC: Jodie Foster weds partner Alexandra Hedison