Orange County News
Santa Ana church treasurer accused of embezzling $110K
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A treasurer at an Orange County church is accused of embezzling more than $110,000.
Prosecutors allege Fiatala Manu stole the money while serving as interim treasurer of the First Samoan Christian Congregational Church in Santa Ana.
"It's a lot of money and I felt bad for the parishioners, because they would come faithfully and it's all family-oriented. I'm really surprised and saddened," said Florenda Torres of Santa Ana.
Prosecutors allege Manu embezzled the money from church bank accounts over 10 months, starting in October 2011. Instead of paying the bills of the small church, the 46-year-old is accused of writing checks to himself and making withdrawals.
Authorities suspect Manu gambled away most of the church money. It's cash that authorities allege church members raised to go toward building a new church.
"It's outrageous, frankly, for somebody who's a member of a congregation, put in a position of trust to handle the church's financial records, would simply steal everything he could get his hands on and take that money and pretty much spend it gambling at Indian gaming casinos," said prosecutor Chuck Lawhorn.
The alleged theft was discovered after an assistant treasurer noticed the money was missing. Authorities say Manu was arrested this week during a church meeting. If convicted, he could get up to 11 years and four months in prison.
orange county news, eileen frere
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back 47 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 10 min ago
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert 28 min ago
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest 51 min ago
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video