Orange County News
Santa Ana church treasurer accused of embezzling $110K
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A treasurer at an Orange County church is accused of embezzling more than $110,000.
Prosecutors allege Fiatala Manu stole the money while serving as interim treasurer of the First Samoan Christian Congregational Church in Santa Ana.
"It's a lot of money and I felt bad for the parishioners, because they would come faithfully and it's all family-oriented. I'm really surprised and saddened," said Florenda Torres of Santa Ana.
Prosecutors allege Manu embezzled the money from church bank accounts over 10 months, starting in October 2011. Instead of paying the bills of the small church, the 46-year-old is accused of writing checks to himself and making withdrawals.
Authorities suspect Manu gambled away most of the church money. It's cash that authorities allege church members raised to go toward building a new church.
"It's outrageous, frankly, for somebody who's a member of a congregation, put in a position of trust to handle the church's financial records, would simply steal everything he could get his hands on and take that money and pretty much spend it gambling at Indian gaming casinos," said prosecutor Chuck Lawhorn.
The alleged theft was discovered after an assistant treasurer noticed the money was missing. Authorities say Manu was arrested this week during a church meeting. If convicted, he could get up to 11 years and four months in prison.
orange county news, eileen frere
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role