Orange County News
UCI fraternity suspends status after 'blackface' video controversy
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- A fraternity at the University of California, Irvine has suspended its status for one year following a controversial video that went viral online.
The student-made music video featured a member of the Lambda Theta Delta fraternity in "blackface." The video shows members performing the Justin Timberlake song "Suit and Tie." One person appears with black makeup simulating African-American skin. Lambda Theta Delta is an Asian-American fraternity.
In a statement on Wednesday, the fraternity said it is suspending its status as a registered campus organization until fall 2014.
"This decision is mainly due to the abhorrent, insensitive and highly offensive 'blackface' video created by our members that has been circulated widely on the Internet," the statement said. "We are aware that the campus has initiated an investigation of our behavior in several videos involving racial insensitivity and alcohol use. We are cooperating fully with the University's investigation."
Fraternity members say they remain committed to repairing the harm they created. By suspending their status, the fraternity will not hold major activities, including rush activities or its annual dance competition.
"We have started planning educational programs, community dialogues, and will avail ourselves of opportunities offered by the campus to educate ourselves on racial stereotypes and our responsibility to address racism in whatever form it takes," the fraternity said.
orange county news
- DTLA police search: armed, dangerous suspect 30 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies 42 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped 1 min ago
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution 22 min ago
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler