Orange County News
Garden Grove woman convicted for cutting off estranged husband's penis
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Garden Grove woman has been convicted of torture and aggravated mayhem for cutting off her estranged husband's penis.
Prosecutors said Catherine Kieu, 50, carefully planned out the July 11, 2011, attack. She drugged her husband following an argument after he filed for divorce. Screaming, "You deserve it," she cut off his penis with a 10-inch kitchen knife and tossed it down a garbage disposal, prosecutors said.
During trial, the 60-year-old victim testified that his penis could not be reattached and that he felt as though he had been murdered.
Public defender Frank Bittar said Kieu had been subjected to verbal and sexual abuse by the victim. He had also argued that Kieu had mental health problems caused by a childhood full of molestation and other trauma in war-torn Vietnam.
Kieu faces a maximum sentence of life in state prison with the possibility of parole when she is sentenced on June 28.
City News Service contributed to this report.
legal, orange county news
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries 4 min ago
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 45 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed