Orange County News
Garden Grove woman convicted for cutting off estranged husband's penis
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Garden Grove woman has been convicted of torture and aggravated mayhem for cutting off her estranged husband's penis.
Prosecutors said Catherine Kieu, 50, carefully planned out the July 11, 2011, attack. She drugged her husband following an argument after he filed for divorce. Screaming, "You deserve it," she cut off his penis with a 10-inch kitchen knife and tossed it down a garbage disposal, prosecutors said.
During trial, the 60-year-old victim testified that his penis could not be reattached and that he felt as though he had been murdered.
Public defender Frank Bittar said Kieu had been subjected to verbal and sexual abuse by the victim. He had also argued that Kieu had mental health problems caused by a childhood full of molestation and other trauma in war-torn Vietnam.
Kieu faces a maximum sentence of life in state prison with the possibility of parole when she is sentenced on June 28.
City News Service contributed to this report.
legal, orange county news
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- Cold front moving across Southern California 57 min ago
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Ventura growers protect crops from freezing
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film