Los Angeles News
Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Police are asking for the public's help in finding the suspect who stole an $85,000 bracelet from a jewelry store at the Glendale Galleria Friday.
The suspect allegedly walked up to the counter at Romano's Jewelers and asked to see the extravagant bracelet around 10 p.m. Thursday.
The employees said they thought he was ready to buy so they opened the glass case and showed the suspect the bracelet.
The suspect then grabbed the 18-karat white gold bracelet with eight karats of princess cut diamonds and fled the store.
"It was just a scary feeling, the guy came in here, wanted to see a piece - he was a pretty swole guy - grabbed it and just took off," said Anthony Hurtado, manager at Romano's Jewelers.
Hurtado said the bracelet was the newest and most expensive jewelry piece in the store and that the suspect knew exactly what he wanted.
"He said 'One of my friends referred me to you guys,' so what happened was that I went ahead and handed it to him, and that's when he took off with it," said Hurtado.
Employees say the suspect was careful to never touch the glass, leaving no fingerprints. He also never seemed to care that he was in a busy mall full of holiday shoppers and was surrounded by three employees. One of the three employees even chased him through the mall to the parking lot where he disappeared.
Romano's Jewelers has been located inside the Glendale Galleria for over 16 years. Employees say they have never had anything like this happen to them before.
The suspect was described as a black man, between 20 and 25 years old, standing around 5 feet 7 inches tall and approximately between 130 and 160 pounds.
He was last seen wearing a black beanie, dark shirt and black leather jacket.
Anyone with information about the theft was urged to contact the Glendale Police Department at (818) 548-3127.
robbery, los angeles news, leanne suter
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD 5 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- California farmers to get more water
31 min ago