Los Angeles News
City Terrace deputy shooting victim's family seeks justice
CITY TERRACE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The family of a 23-year-old college student who was shot and killed by an L.A. County Sheriff's deputy is pleading for justice.
Carlos Oliva's family held a news conference Saturday calling for the arrest of Anthony Forlano, the deputy allegedly involved.
Family members also asked the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department to release the security hold on the coroner's report into Oliva's death.
"Carlos was a young college student. He had a job in a restaurant at the Staples Center. He was unarmed and involved in no wrongdoing. It was a case of Deputy Forlano being extremely aggressive," said Jubilee Shine.
Oliva was shot and killed during a confrontation with deputies in the City Terrace area on Sept. 10.
Authorities were responding to a domestic dispute call at about 1 a.m., when they were alerted to a man with a gun in the area.
Two deputies spotted Oliva and confronted him. A struggle ensued, and authorities say the man pointed his weapon at deputies. That's when the deputy involved shooting occurred.
The shooting did not have any connection to the initial domestic dispute call. That dispute was cleared without incident.
It will be up to the District Attorney's Office to decide if the shooting was justified.
shooting, deputy-involved shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter