Los Angeles News
Palmdale kidnap attempt: Convicted rapist tries to snatch teen
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A convicted rapist tried to snatch a teenage girl off a street in Palmdale Friday morning. Authorities said she was able to escape.
Investigators said Richard Stine, 39, who is on active parole for forcible rape and has an ankle monitor, kidnapped the 17-year-old as she was walking near the corner of 30th Street East and Palmdale Boulevard around 8:10 a.m.
According to detectives, Stine approached the girl from behind, pushed an object into her back and threatened her. He allegedly told her to keep walking or else he would shoot her. The victim tried waving her arms to get the attention of people walking by.
The suspect forced the girl to cross a street and go behind a church, out of view of the public.
A concerned witness noticed that the victim was in distress and called authorities. When deputies got to the scene, the victim managed to break free from the suspect and run toward the deputies. She was not injured.
Stine surrendered at the scene. He was taken into custody and booked on charges of kidnapping with the intent to rape. His bail was set at $100,000. He is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.
los angeles news, amy powell
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries 8 min ago
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 49 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed