Los Angeles News
Special needs student allegedly sexually assaulted at South LA middle school
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The mother of a special needs boy says her son was sexually assaulted by a male student at a middle school in South Los Angeles. The family now intends to file a lawsuit against the Los Angeles Unified School District.
The family and their lawyer claim the 13-year-old special needs student was sexually assaulted by an eighth-grade male student at Barack Obama Global Preparation Academy toward the end of May.
According to the parents of the special needs student, the mother went to the school to complain that her son was being bullied in physical education class two months before the alleged sexual assault occurred.
The parents claim the eighth-grade male student lured their son to an area near bleachers on campus and sexually assaulted him.
The parents and their lawyer, who is also the lead lawyer in the Miramonte Elementary sex abuse scandal, say school administration ignored them and "dropped the ball." The lawyer contends the district has not taken enough steps to keep similar incidents from happening again.
"As a mother, you're devastated when you get a phone call saying that your child has been sexually assaulted," said the boy's mother, Toyan, crying. "Any person with a child knows your No. 1 priority is to protect them. And God forbid you drop them off at school, thinking that they are safe, and they come home a different kid because somebody out there thought it was their God-given right to do something to them that wasn't supposed to be done."
LAUSD lawyer David Holmquist addressed the accusations in a statement to Eyewitness News Monday. He said that upon learning about the alleged incident, the school documented and notified authorities. He also said student-on-student conduct is taken seriously.
"Although we cannot comment on the specific allegations or any potential lawsuit in this case, we are committed to ensuring student safety at all times," Holmquist's statement read. "Our principals, teachers and other school site employees do everything humanly possible to ensure student safety and are consistently trying to make school sites as safe as possible."
The LAPD is also investigating the incident.
south los angeles, sexual assault, school, los angeles news, sid garcia
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected 32 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role