Los Angeles News
Dangerous dogs: Recommendations expected on animal control
DOWNEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Los Angeles County is cracking down on dangerous dogs. The Department of Animal Care and Control is expected to report back on recommendations aimed at better protecting the public.
The recommendations are meant to improve the way the animal control agents serve the public and improve the aging animal shelters.
There have been several vicious dog attacks recently, but the incident that brought it all to a head was the fatal mauling in the Antelope Valley last month. A 63-year-old woman was mauled to death by a pack of pit bulls while she was walking in her Littlerock community. The owner of the dogs is now facing a murder charge.
After the death, the L.A. County Board of Supervisors requested recommendations to better the Department of Animal Care and Control. Six recommendations will be made, including the following:
- Increase number of animal control field officers
- Increase protective equipment for officers
- Purchase more animal control trucks
- Expand communications center or create new center
The issue with the recommendation to expand or create a new communications center is that the current center can only house a maximum of 13 agents. The recommendation says they need at least 26 agents to run the center properly during the peak hours of 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The recommendations are expected to cost $2.4 million, $1.6 million of which will be ongoing funding. The rest will be a one-time payment.
animal news, los angeles news, q mccray
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster 30 min ago
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior 51 min ago
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour