Los Angeles News
Tom Bradley International Terminal makeover at LAX - a preview
LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (KABC) -- The Tom Bradley International Terminal at Los Angeles International Airport promises to be packed with new restaurants and high-end shops by the end of its massive makeover.
In the past, the terminal had a reputation for being drab and not passenger friendly. But that's all about to change with this $1.9 billion makeover, which is part of a larger $4.11 billion renovation for all of LAX.
Once completed, the terminal will include:
- 150,000-square-foot Great Hall
- More than 60 dining and luxury retail shops including Gucci, Michael Kors, Coach, Burberry, Bvlgari boutiques and more
- 22 local brands including Umami Burger, Fred Segal, Kitson
- New gates offering new boarding technology, including laser docking and computerized boarding bridges
Nancy Castles with Los Angeles World Airports said the revamp aims to restore some of the luster lost at LAX.
"We've lost some of our global ranking. With this new terminal, this is going to revitalize our efforts to position ourselves back in the global market place," Castles said.
She added that the five-year construction phase will create 4,000 construction-related jobs. Once the terminal is completed, 2,000 permanent new jobs will be added to the mix as well. Castles says that total is 60 percent more than what exists now.
Phase 1 of the project is slated to be completed in the next few months, followed by the immediate start of phase 2.
The public can get a chance to preview the new Tom Bradley International Terminal at LAX Appreciation Day on Saturday, June 22 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. You can register by visiting, www.laxappreciationday.com.
los angeles international airport, airport news, los angeles news
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate