Los Angeles News
Armed hot prowl suspect shot by LAPD officers in West Hills
WEST HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An armed hot prowl suspect was shot and critically wounded during a confrontation with police officers in West Hills on Sunday, officials said.
A woman who was spending her first night in her new third-floor apartment unit in the 7100 block of Woodlake Avenue said she heard her doorbell and a knock at the door around 5:30 a.m. The tenant, Billie Wittman, said she got out of bed, went to the door and saw a man outside holding a gun. She called 911.
"They walked me through it," Wittman said. "At one point they told me to go to the bathroom, lock the door and stay there until police came."
Arriving Los Angeles Police Department officers said they made verbal contact with the suspect and that he opened fire on them. The officers fired back, striking and critically wounding him.
"When he turned and fired at least one round from a revolver at the officers, at that point an officer-involved shooting ensued," said LAPD Lt. Brian Gilman.
The suspect was in intensive care at Northridge Hospital Medical Center.
The tenant was not hurt.
"I heard sirens, I heard shots, but I didn't know what was going on," Wittman said.
There was a burglary at the same apartment complex on April 12. It was undetermined whether the two incidents are connected.
officer-involved shooting, lapd, shooting, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- Missing Pasadena City College hiker found
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 5 min ago
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- World Cup 2014: US to play Ghana, Portugal, Germany 47 min ago
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple 31 min ago
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
18 min ago