Los Angeles News
Los Angeles Zoo debuts baby giraffe Sofie
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles zoo is introducing its newest spring addition: a female giraffe calf named Sofie.
Sofie, weighing in at 135 pounds and standing six feet tall, was born on April 22. Zoo officials said this is the first baby for the zoo's female Masai giraffe, Hafina, fathered by Artimus.
The family can be seen on exhibit daily during the zoo's regular hours. The Masai species of giraffe is found in East Africa, namely southern Kenya and northern Tanzania.
In light of the recent addition, the zoo also announced a continued partnership with the ScholarShare College Savings Plan.
"As families learn about the Zoo's most recent Spring baby, parents may also learn how to begin planning their children's future from a very young age," zoo officials said in a statement.
animal news, los angeles news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 22 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 45 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...