Los Angeles News
Los Angeles Zoo debuts baby giraffe Sofie
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles zoo is introducing its newest spring addition: a female giraffe calf named Sofie.
Sofie, weighing in at 135 pounds and standing six feet tall, was born on April 22. Zoo officials said this is the first baby for the zoo's female Masai giraffe, Hafina, fathered by Artimus.
The family can be seen on exhibit daily during the zoo's regular hours. The Masai species of giraffe is found in East Africa, namely southern Kenya and northern Tanzania.
In light of the recent addition, the zoo also announced a continued partnership with the ScholarShare College Savings Plan.
"As families learn about the Zoo's most recent Spring baby, parents may also learn how to begin planning their children's future from a very young age," zoo officials said in a statement.
animal news, los angeles news
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic 17 min ago
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors