Los Angeles News
Los Angeles Zoo debuts baby giraffe Sofie
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles zoo is introducing its newest spring addition: a female giraffe calf named Sofie.
Sofie, weighing in at 135 pounds and standing six feet tall, was born on April 22. Zoo officials said this is the first baby for the zoo's female Masai giraffe, Hafina, fathered by Artimus.
The family can be seen on exhibit daily during the zoo's regular hours. The Masai species of giraffe is found in East Africa, namely southern Kenya and northern Tanzania.
In light of the recent addition, the zoo also announced a continued partnership with the ScholarShare College Savings Plan.
"As families learn about the Zoo's most recent Spring baby, parents may also learn how to begin planning their children's future from a very young age," zoo officials said in a statement.
animal news, los angeles news
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations 1 min ago
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week 1 min ago
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis