Inland Empire News
Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-year-old man dies
CORONA, Calif. (KABC) -- A passenger on a tour bus that crashed on the 15 Freeway in Corona Thursday has died of his injuries.
Khang Tieu, 91, died at Riverside Community Hospital on Friday, according to authorities.
The crash happened Thursday afternoon at Magnolia Avenue. The bus company, Sina International, said there were 23 passengers and the driver on board.
The California Highway Patrol said all passengers sustained injuries. Many of the passengers had to crawl out of the emergency hatch on top of the bus.
The driver, 35-year-old Jian Fei Duan of Baldwin Park, suffered minor injuries. The driver was traveling 65 mph when he lost control and hit the center median guardrail. The CHP said that is "unsafe speed for roadway conditions."
It was raining at the time of the crash, but it's unknown if the wet weather was a factor.
The bus was heading to Garden Grove from the Pala Casino Spa & Resort in San Diego County. The Department of Transportation's safety record shows a clean record with no prior crashes.
Around the same, another tour bus crashed on the southbound 15 Freeway near Fallbrook in San Diego County. A 64-year-old woman from Van Nuys was killed in that crash.
car crash, inland empire news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia not sure which way jet was headed 38 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects 58 min ago
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book