Inland Empire News
Indio High School students, faculty tested for tuberculosis
INDIO, Calif. (KABC) -- Riverside County health officials began testing 1,800 Indio High School students and staff for tuberculosis (TB) Friday after a student was diagnosed with active TB earlier in the month.
One-hundred-thirty-one selected students were tested for possible exposure on Monday. Of those, 45 were determined to need further testing.
Follow-up X-rays on Thursday identified five students who required further examination, according to the Riverside County Department of Public Health. That prompted a decision to test 1,800 people at the school."While the number of those who tested positive is higher than we would expect, that does not mean the illness has spread or will spread," Riverside County Public Health Officer Dr. Cameron Kaiser said. "The likelihood of the illness being passed from one person to the next is remote."
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, tuberculosis is caused by bacteria that usually attack the lungs, but it can attack any part of the body such as the kidney, spine, and brain. If not treated properly, TB disease can be fatal. It is spread through the air from one person to another. The TB bacteria are put into the air when a person with TB disease of the lungs or throat coughs, sneezes, speaks, or sings. People nearby may breathe in these bacteria and become infected.
It is not spread by shaking someone's hand, sharing food or drink, touching bed linens or toilet seats, sharing toothbrushes or kissing.
centers for disease control and prevention, health, inland empire news
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 26 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures 54 min ago
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker 45 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy' 32 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)