Inland Empire News
Mentally challenged woman defrauded: 2 arrested
ONTARIO, Calif. (KABC) -- Two Lake Elsinore residents were arrested Tuesday for defrauding a mentally challenged individual.
Sebre Amadee Abdul, 57, and Maria Elia Chavira, 48, were arrested during the service of a search warrant at their residence on the 53000 block of Memorial Street in Lake Elsinore at 8 a.m. Tuesday.
The suspects allegedly induced a mentally challenged adult Ontario woman into making multiple withdrawals from her bank account in the approximate amount of $10,000. Abdul allegedly then gambled away the money at an L.A. County casino.
Abdul and Chavira are accused of then transporting the victim to seven different businesses to open credit accounts in her name, totaling more than $36,000, according to Ontario Police. The two suspects then fraudulently bought large amounts of furniture by charging to those accounts.
During Tuesday's search warrant, investigators located evidence in the residence included fraudulently purchase furniture, according to police.
Abdul and Chavira were later booked at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga for charges of burglary, grand theft, theft from an elder and elderly abuse.
Detectives are concerned there may be others that were victimized by Abdul and Chavira. Anyone with information about the incident or feel they may have been victimized in the same manner is asked to contact Ontario Police Detective Al Parra at (909) 395-2752.
arrest, fraud, burglary, inland empire news
- CO school shooting suspect dead, says sheriff 11 min ago
- Car bomb plot thwarted at Kansas airport
- Body found near East Los Angeles College
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 59 min ago
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 2nd woman in purported mercy killings ID'd
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million 12 min ago
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Mom with cancer inspires daughter's friend
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'