Inland Empire News
Cabazon dinosaurs' future uncertain after Wheel Inn diner closes
CABAZON, Calif. (KABC) -- The Wheel Inn truck stop and diner along the 10 Freeway in Cabazon has suddenly closed. Along with giant dinosaur statues, the diner was famous for home-cooking and pies.
The late Claude Bell created the dinos to keep watch of his Wheel Inn restaurant, which opened in 1958.
We will soon know if Dinny the dinosaur has his own following or if he was fed tourists of the Wheel Inn restaurant.
According to the Press-Enterprise, the manager of the restaurant says the building needed improvements and busy weekends weren't enough to pay the bills.
For a lot of us, the dinosaurs bring back feelings of nostalgia.
"We got to come out and see the dinosaurs and take pictures and play on them. It was always a highlight as a child to come to this area," said Stacy Wulkan of San Jose.
It's possible Dinny, along with the Tyrannosaurus rex, will still attract their own fans even without the home-cooking, but only time will tell.
"All the old landmarks, unfortunately, seem to be going by the wayside, which is really sad. I stopped here today because this was a remembrance of my childhood," said Wulkan.
No one knows what will become of the Wheel Inn restaurant, but maybe the dinosaurs are not quite yet in danger of extinction.
The Wheel Inn restaurant may be closed, but you can still go visit the dinosaurs. They're still standing in Cabazon and they're pretty hard to miss.
riverside county, inland empire news, ellen leyva
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 30 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide 30 min ago
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry