Inland Empire News
Suspect shoots at San Bernardino officer with pellet gun
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- Investigators are searching for a person who fired on a police vehicle with a pellet gun in San Bernardino. The officer was not hit.
The incident happened around midnight at West Rialto Avenue and South Macy Street while the officer was on patrol, blowing out the passenger-side window. Authorities say they believe the suspect was on foot.
The officer's cruiser was hit, and some broken glass cut the officer, but he was not hit. After an extensive search, a suspect was not found.
This is the third time in recent weeks that a law enforcement officer in San Bernardino has been shot at. On July 16, two San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies were in their patrol car on Date Street when they were shot at by a man driving by. The suspect, 33-year-old Miguel Alvarez, of San Bernardino, was taken into custody. One deputy was treated for non-life-threatening injuries and released from the hospital that day.
Then just last Friday, two police officers were pulling over a car at Sierra Way and Baseline Avenue when two of the four suspects in the vehicle opened fire, striking one officer in the leg. The other officer returned fire, injuring two of the suspects, identified as Eric Newson, 22, of Los Angeles, and Keijuan Mayfield, 22, of Redlands. They were taken into custody, along with a 14-year-old juvenile. The fourth suspect, identified as James Love Jr., remains on the loose.
Authorities do not believe the incidents are related. Nor does San Bernardino Police Chief Rob Handy feel as though law enforcement is under attack.
"I don't think there's any outward attack on the officers, other than they're trying to do their business as criminals, and we're going to stop them," said Handy.
Anyone with information on the shooting is urged to call police at (909) 384-5742.
shooting, san bernardino county, inland empire news
- Burglary suspects sexually assault woman
- Sex offender arrested for sex with minor
- Boy brings loaded gun to Garden Grove school
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- Man tries to lure Culver City girl into car
- TSA responds to case on disabled LAX passenger
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- South Korea ferry death toll reaches 156
- abcnews: McCann probers focus on child sex attacker
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- Jay Z, Beyonce Rose Bowl concert approved
- OTRC: Jodie Foster weds partner Alexandra Hedison