Inland Empire News
Jury chooses death for 2 ex-Marines in IE murders of fellow Marine, wife
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A jury chose the death penalty Thursday for two former Camp Pendleton Marines in the murders of a fellow Marine and his wife. A third former Marine was given life without parole.
The men, 25-year-old Kevin Cox, 25-year-old Tyrone Miller and 23-year-old Emrys John, were found guilty on June 6 of murdering fellow Marine Sgt. Jan Pietrzak and his wife, Quiana.
John and Miller were given the death penalty. Cox was given life without parole.
The families of the victims were present as the verdict was read, and could be heard quietly sobbing in relief.
John and Miller were convicted of two counts of first-degree murder. The jury also found true the special circumstances of murder during the commission of a robbery and during the commission of a burglary and multiple murders. A separate jury that same day returned a guilty verdict on the same counts for Cox.
Authorities found Pietrzak and his wife bound, gagged and shot in their Winchester home on October 15, 2008. The two had only been married three months.
The prosecution says robbery was the motive. Following the murders, the three set fire to the home to cover up the crime. The jury also convicted John of being the trigger man and found Miller guilty of sexually assaulting Quiana.
During the victim impact statements, Pietrzak's mother said it felt like someone had stabbed her in the heart when she learned that her son's murderers were Marines.
A fourth defendant in the murders, Kesaun Sykes, will go on trial in August.
riverside county, shooting, homicide investigation, murder, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Car bomb plot thwarted at Kansas airport 14 min ago
- Body found near East Los Angeles College
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 13 min ago
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 2nd woman in purported mercy killings ID'd
- San Diego cross memorial removal ordered
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Mom with cancer inspires daughter's friend
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
45 min ago