Inland Empire News
Gorgonio Fire is fully contained at 510 acres
BANNING, Calif. (KABC) -- The Gorgonio Fire burning south of Banning near Highway 243 was fully contained Sunday evening, Cal Fire officials said.
The final mapped size of the burn area was 510 acres, bumped down from an estimated 650. Full control of the fire was expected by 6 p.m. Monday.
The fire erupted around 11 a.m. Saturday near Highway 243 between Banning and Poppet Flats.
Voluntary evacuations were announced for Twin Pines Ranch. No mandatory evacuation were issued. Firefighters said no other homes were threatened. At one point, Highway 243 south of Banning was closed.
About 240 firefighters were on the ground battling the blaze, which burned east in extremely rugged terrain in the same area where the deadly Esperanza Fire burned in 2006.
fire, brush fire, inland empire news
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon 55 min ago
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists' 26 min ago
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 58 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat 20 min ago
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
17 min ago