Inland Empire News
Gorgonio Fire is fully contained at 510 acres
BANNING, Calif. (KABC) -- The Gorgonio Fire burning south of Banning near Highway 243 was fully contained Sunday evening, Cal Fire officials said.
The final mapped size of the burn area was 510 acres, bumped down from an estimated 650. Full control of the fire was expected by 6 p.m. Monday.
The fire erupted around 11 a.m. Saturday near Highway 243 between Banning and Poppet Flats.
Voluntary evacuations were announced for Twin Pines Ranch. No mandatory evacuation were issued. Firefighters said no other homes were threatened. At one point, Highway 243 south of Banning was closed.
About 240 firefighters were on the ground battling the blaze, which burned east in extremely rugged terrain in the same area where the deadly Esperanza Fire burned in 2006.
fire, brush fire, inland empire news
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder 57 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors