Paula Deen dropped by Smithfield; QVC reviewing
NEW YORK (KABC) -- There's more fallout on Monday for celebrity chef Paula Deen: Smithfield Foods, which sold Paula Deen-branded hams, said it is dropping her as a spokeswoman in the wake of revelations that she used racial slurs in the past. QVC said it is reviewing its deal with Paula Deen Enterprises.
Smithfield's announcement comes just days after the Food Network said it would not renew Deen's contract. In a statement, Smithfield said it "condemns the use of offensive and discriminatory language and behavior of any kind. Therefore, we are terminating our partnership with Paula Deen."
QVC sells Deen's cookbooks and cookware, but it also was reviewing its deal with Paula Deen Enterprises.
"QVC shares the concerns being raised around the unfortunate Paula Deen situation," QVC said in a statement. "We are closely monitoring these events and the ongoing litigation. We are reviewing our business relationship with Ms. Deen, and in the meantime, we have no immediate plans to have her appear on QVC."
Sears said the company "is currently exploring next steps as they pertain to Ms. Deen's products." Wal-Mart, which sells Deen's cookware, was expected to have a statement later Monday.
The 66-year-old Savannah kitchen celebrity has been swamped in controversy since court documents filed last week revealed Deen admitted that she has used the N-word. "Yes, of course," Deen said, though she added, "It's been a very long time."
In a 46-second video posted on YouTube Friday afternoon, Deen said, "I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I've done."
"I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate and hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable," she said. "I've made plenty of mistakes along the way, but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, I beg for your forgiveness."
NBC's Matt Lauer said Deen would appear Wednesday on "Today." Last week she abruptly canceled on the morning show before posting her videotaped apologies.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 28 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 50 min ago
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring 11 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles 1 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 55 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break