Paula Deen dropped by Smithfield; QVC reviewing
NEW YORK (KABC) -- There's more fallout on Monday for celebrity chef Paula Deen: Smithfield Foods, which sold Paula Deen-branded hams, said it is dropping her as a spokeswoman in the wake of revelations that she used racial slurs in the past. QVC said it is reviewing its deal with Paula Deen Enterprises.
Smithfield's announcement comes just days after the Food Network said it would not renew Deen's contract. In a statement, Smithfield said it "condemns the use of offensive and discriminatory language and behavior of any kind. Therefore, we are terminating our partnership with Paula Deen."
QVC sells Deen's cookbooks and cookware, but it also was reviewing its deal with Paula Deen Enterprises.
"QVC shares the concerns being raised around the unfortunate Paula Deen situation," QVC said in a statement. "We are closely monitoring these events and the ongoing litigation. We are reviewing our business relationship with Ms. Deen, and in the meantime, we have no immediate plans to have her appear on QVC."
Sears said the company "is currently exploring next steps as they pertain to Ms. Deen's products." Wal-Mart, which sells Deen's cookware, was expected to have a statement later Monday.
The 66-year-old Savannah kitchen celebrity has been swamped in controversy since court documents filed last week revealed Deen admitted that she has used the N-word. "Yes, of course," Deen said, though she added, "It's been a very long time."
In a 46-second video posted on YouTube Friday afternoon, Deen said, "I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I've done."
"I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate and hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable," she said. "I've made plenty of mistakes along the way, but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, I beg for your forgiveness."
NBC's Matt Lauer said Deen would appear Wednesday on "Today." Last week she abruptly canceled on the morning show before posting her videotaped apologies.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees