Save Money / Consumer News
Honda tops IIHS list of safest new cars
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Honda reigned supreme on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's list of vehicles that earned top safety ratings for 2014.
The list, released Thursday, named the Honda Civic hybrid, Honda Accord, Acura RLX and Acura MDX as the highest-ranking. The Honda Civic two-door and Acura TL were also ranked as top safety picks.
Infiniti's Q50, the Mazda 3, Toyota Highlander and the Chevrolet Spark mini-car were all newcomers to the list.
The Honda Civic Hybrid and several Volvo models won the top designation on the basis of standard equipment in their vehicles.
The 39 chosen cars met tougher standards than last year's 130-car list. For the first time, criteria included a good front crash prevention system, in addition to top crash test scores. Vehicles are now ranked as either a "Top Safety Pick" or "Top Safety Pick +" if they meet the front crash protection criteria as well.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
save money / consumer news
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 5 min ago
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 59 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)