Save Money / Consumer News
Honda tops IIHS list of safest new cars
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Honda reigned supreme on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's list of vehicles that earned top safety ratings for 2014.
The list, released Thursday, named the Honda Civic hybrid, Honda Accord, Acura RLX and Acura MDX as the highest-ranking. The Honda Civic two-door and Acura TL were also ranked as top safety picks.
Infiniti's Q50, the Mazda 3, Toyota Highlander and the Chevrolet Spark mini-car were all newcomers to the list.
The Honda Civic Hybrid and several Volvo models won the top designation on the basis of standard equipment in their vehicles.
The 39 chosen cars met tougher standards than last year's 130-car list. For the first time, criteria included a good front crash prevention system, in addition to top crash test scores. Vehicles are now ranked as either a "Top Safety Pick" or "Top Safety Pick +" if they meet the front crash protection criteria as well.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
save money / consumer news
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder 59 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors