Save Money / Consumer News
Honda tops IIHS list of safest new cars
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Honda reigned supreme on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's list of vehicles that earned top safety ratings for 2014.
The list, released Thursday, named the Honda Civic hybrid, Honda Accord, Acura RLX and Acura MDX as the highest-ranking. The Honda Civic two-door and Acura TL were also ranked as top safety picks.
Infiniti's Q50, the Mazda 3, Toyota Highlander and the Chevrolet Spark mini-car were all newcomers to the list.
The Honda Civic Hybrid and several Volvo models won the top designation on the basis of standard equipment in their vehicles.
The 39 chosen cars met tougher standards than last year's 130-car list. For the first time, criteria included a good front crash prevention system, in addition to top crash test scores. Vehicles are now ranked as either a "Top Safety Pick" or "Top Safety Pick +" if they meet the front crash protection criteria as well.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
save money / consumer news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 37 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar 30 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts 41 min ago