Minneapolis boy boards Las Vegas-bound plane without ticket
MINNEAPOLIS (KABC) -- An investigation is underway at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport after a 9-year-old boy snuck onto a flight headed to Las Vegas Thursday.
The runaway managed to sneak past gate agents at multiple security stops before taking a seat on the plane.
Delta Flight 1651 left with the 9-year-old on board. It wasn't until the plane departed that the flight crew became suspicious of the child's circumstances and contacted Las Vegas police.
The boy was taken into custody upon landing and transferred to Child Protection Services.
Patrick Hogan, the Director of Public Affairs and Marketing at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport released the following statement to ABC News: "Obviously, the fact that the child's actions weren't detected until he was in flight is concerning. More than 33 million people travel through Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport every year, and I don't know of another instance my 13 years at the airport in which anything similar has happened."
Video also shows the unidentified boy at the airport Wednesday, Hogan said. The boy allegedly grabbed a bag from the carousel and ordered lunch at a restaurant outside of the security checkpoints. He ate and then told the server he had to use the bathroom, left the bag and never returned to pay.
Both Delta Airlines and the Transportation Security Administration say they're investigating the incident.
TSA released the following statement Sunday: "The child was screened along with all other passengers to ensure that he was not a threat to the aircraft."
Officials say the boy was expected to return to the Twin Cities.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
unbelievable, airline, airport security, bizarre news
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial 1 min ago
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario 13 min ago
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 34 min ago
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city 19 min ago
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
40 min ago