Minneapolis boy boards Las Vegas-bound plane without ticket
MINNEAPOLIS (KABC) -- An investigation is underway at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport after a 9-year-old boy snuck onto a flight headed to Las Vegas Thursday.
The runaway managed to sneak past gate agents at multiple security stops before taking a seat on the plane.
Delta Flight 1651 left with the 9-year-old on board. It wasn't until the plane departed that the flight crew became suspicious of the child's circumstances and contacted Las Vegas police.
The boy was taken into custody upon landing and transferred to Child Protection Services.
Patrick Hogan, the Director of Public Affairs and Marketing at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport released the following statement to ABC News: "Obviously, the fact that the child's actions weren't detected until he was in flight is concerning. More than 33 million people travel through Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport every year, and I don't know of another instance my 13 years at the airport in which anything similar has happened."
Video also shows the unidentified boy at the airport Wednesday, Hogan said. The boy allegedly grabbed a bag from the carousel and ordered lunch at a restaurant outside of the security checkpoints. He ate and then told the server he had to use the bathroom, left the bag and never returned to pay.
Both Delta Airlines and the Transportation Security Administration say they're investigating the incident.
TSA released the following statement Sunday: "The child was screened along with all other passengers to ensure that he was not a threat to the aircraft."
Officials say the boy was expected to return to the Twin Cities.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
unbelievable, airline, airport security, bizarre news
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 10 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- Boy brings loaded gun to Garden Grove school
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed 36 min ago
- Mac and cheese gets upgrade at Beer Belly
50 min ago