World's Ugliest Dog title goes to Californian beagle-boxer-basset mix
PETALUMA, Calif. (KABC) -- A California beagle-boxer-basset-hound mix was the upset winner at the 25th annual World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
Huge-headed, duck-footed Walle is a 4-year-old mutt from Chico. He was entered at the last minute, after his owner kept getting so many comments about the dog's appearance.
"Everybody always says that there's something wrong with him - his head's too big, his back is too short. It's nice to win at something," said owner Tammie Barbee, who has had Walle since he was just 3 months old.
Judges said they were especially impressed by Walle's bizarre waddle of a walk.
"This dog looked like he's been photo-shopped with pieces from various dogs and maybe a few other animals," judge Brian Sobel said.
Walle and Barbee won $1,500 and will make several network TV appearances next week, including "Jimmy Kimmel Live."
The contest at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds gets worldwide attention, with media from around the world traveling to Petaluma, about 40 miles north of San Francisco.
Organizers say the dogs are judged for their "natural ugliness in both pedigree and mutt classes."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
animal news, bizarre news
- OC school bus crash: Several injuries reported 3 min ago
- Big-rig crash shuts down 210 Fwy, Gold Line 17 min ago
- Protesters commemorate Armenian Genocide
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- Obama: Asia-Pacific trade deal not in danger
- Olivia Wilde, Jason Sudeikis welcome baby boy
- OTRC: Beyonce on '100 Most Influential People' cover