World's Ugliest Dog title goes to Californian beagle-boxer-basset mix
PETALUMA, Calif. (KABC) -- A California beagle-boxer-basset-hound mix was the upset winner at the 25th annual World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
Huge-headed, duck-footed Walle is a 4-year-old mutt from Chico. He was entered at the last minute, after his owner kept getting so many comments about the dog's appearance.
"Everybody always says that there's something wrong with him - his head's too big, his back is too short. It's nice to win at something," said owner Tammie Barbee, who has had Walle since he was just 3 months old.
Judges said they were especially impressed by Walle's bizarre waddle of a walk.
"This dog looked like he's been photo-shopped with pieces from various dogs and maybe a few other animals," judge Brian Sobel said.
Walle and Barbee won $1,500 and will make several network TV appearances next week, including "Jimmy Kimmel Live."
The contest at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds gets worldwide attention, with media from around the world traveling to Petaluma, about 40 miles north of San Francisco.
Organizers say the dogs are judged for their "natural ugliness in both pedigree and mutt classes."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
animal news, bizarre news
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments